If you like an homemade apple pie but doesn't like all the work you have to do to make the homemade pie crust,this easy no-crust apple pie recipe is the best solution for you.Apple pie is one of my favorite winter dessert.but unfortunately,I don't get to make that often due to the hassles of making a pie crust.I provably make an apple pie once a year for the Thanksgiving feast.Apple pie is such a comfort dessert,I should make it more often.Of curse,I can use the store-bought remade pie crust,but you can't beat the taste of homemade crust.
This recipe for no-crust apple pie is super easy and quick.You only need about 10-15 minutes of time to assemble the pie before you put it in the hot oven to bake up.All you need to do is to peel and dice the apples,and whip up a very simple batter to top the mounds of apple slices,and that will mimic the crust.You don't have to roll out the crust anymore.The batter will turn into flaky soft crust that has a texture of between a pie crust and cookie.
I like how the brown butter adds a nice aroma to the crust.Serve this pie warm with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.You will be in heaven!
Prepare the apples
Peel,core,and slice the apples.Toss them with 2 tbsp of sugar,lemon juice,和肉桂。Pile them in a 9-inch pie pan.
Prepare the batter
Melt the unsalted butter over medium heat and let it brown,but not to burn.The butter can go golden brown to burn in seconds so watch carefully.You will want your butter to be deep golden brown.
Transfer the browned butter into a large mixing bowl.Add sugar and mix well.This will lower the temperature of butter a little.Add the eggs and mix again to incorporate.
Sift the flour over a fine mesh and add to the butter egg mixture.Mix well.
Pour over the apple slices.
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar on top to give a slight crunchiness to the crust. Bake the pie in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes until you see some cracks on the surface.
I used the convection oven and I think that helps the crack to be more obvious.If your oven is convention or gas,the crack might not show but you will still have flaky crust to enjoy.
Let the pie cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes and serve warm.You gotta have this delicious pie with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.There is nothing like a plate of warm apple pie with cold ice-cream combination that soothes your soul in cold winter days.This is what we needed in the freezing weather outside these days.Enjoy~
15 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 4 medium sized Granny Smith apples,peeled,cored,& thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour,sifted
- Preheat the oven to 375?F.
- Mix apple slices with lemon juice,2 tablespoon of sugar,and cinnamon;toss well and put them on a 9-inch pie dish.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and let the butter brown to be deep golden brown,about 5 minutes.
- Pour the browned butter into a large mixing bowl.Add the 3/4 cup sugar and mix well.The sugar will not dissolve very well and it is okay.
- Add the eggs and stir to combine.Sift the flour in a fine mesh and add to the butter egg mixture.Stir well to combine.
- Pour the batter over the apple slices to cover evenly.Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar evenly over the batter.Bake the pie in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes until the crust shows cracks.(Depends on the type of oven,the crack might not show)
- Le n馅饼放在架子上冷却5分钟。Serve the pie warm with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.
adapted from the recipe of Richard Sax's Ligita's quick apple cake